To explain, that would be English Paper Piecing for Monday Night Quilting. I am very fortunate to have a group of ladies who try very hard to get together on a weekly basis. I’ve been going to MNQ for about 16 years now, nearly every Monday evening for a couple of hours to stitch and chat. With the help of the lovely Jessica over at Life Under Quilts, I’m going to be trying to focus on getting more done on my EPP projects. The hexie project above was started with the help of the Get Your Hex On Flickr Group last spring. I was first introduced to EPP by my sweet friend Miss JJ from PragmaticPatchwork. I was intrigued but not sure I wanted to do it. But I decided to take the plunge and join the Hexie Virtual Bee on Flickr. When it was my turn to be Queen Bee, I chose to make this design after seeing something similar online that reminded me of Hawaiian flowers floating on water. It’s a much brighter palette than I’ve used in the past but I’m loving it.
I even took it to hospital with me in the late summer, though I didn’t expect I’d be there long enough to use surgical tape to make a design wall in my room. It did make for something bright and pretty to look at though.
There are 11 of us in the group and everyone made me one hexie flower. I did three extra and all of the blues. I think I’ve got about 150 hexies completed, using the 1.5″ hexie papers. I think I have about another 50 to complete & then another 50 or so to put around the edges for a different kind of finishing. They will wrap around to the back. We’ll see how that will go.
These are my usual tools. I have a big bag I carry my projects in so everything I use goes into this little plastic box that snaps shut and keeps everything from being all over the bottom of the bag. I piece with Aurifil 50wt and love my glue stick! I made the blue needle case a few years ago and have used it since.
I’m linking up with Jessica and the others with the hope that it will keep me focused to finish this. I was intending to add a bit at the top to allow it to hang across the front of my upright piano. I over-estimated the size so now it’s much bigger than I expected (about 55″ x 30″). Perhaps I’ll need to get a bigger piano. 😀
Thanks for stopping by!